I m 99% sure I have COPD but appt with specialist is next mth. Meanwhile I use.Inhaler.For relief. Should I seek urgent attention?

Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: COPD

If your symptoms are controlled with your inhaler, you can wait until your appointment with the specialist.
Or you can ask your primary care physician for pulmonary function tests. If you are severely short of breath or coughing uncontrollably, you may want to go to an er. In the meantime, if you smoke, you should definitely stop smoking.

In brief: COPD

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Maybe

It depends how sick you are, this should be discussed with your family doctor to see if you need to be seen right away.
As a general rule some clues that you need urgent attention include, but are not limited to if you are sob at rest or with minimal exercise, if you have chest pain, are coughing up blood, have fever or chills, or are getting light headed or getting worse very quickly.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Depends...

If you are short of breath and your shortness of breath is worsening and/or you get no relief with your prescribed inhaler, then you probably should be evaluated in the er. If your breathing is ok, then you can probably wait for your appointment.
But, if your symptoms are worrisome or worsening, seek help right away and don't hesitate to see your doctor again or go to the er!

In brief: Depends...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Vicken Poochikian