I know you can have a knee and hip replacement, but can you get a ankle replacement?

Dr. Eric Bluman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle
In brief: Yes but..
Unfortunately, the results have not been as reliable as knee and hip replacement.
There are stringent criteria to be an ideal candidate for ankle replacement. The ankle is not as forgiving as these other joints and the procedure is highly technical. Anyone considering this option make sure that you consult with a orthopaedic foot and ankle surgeon. One in your area can be found at www.Aofas.Org.

In brief: Yes but..
Dr. Eric Bluman
Dr. Eric Bluman
Dr. Nicholas Nomicos
General Practice
Ankle replacement is now available.
You can find more information at www.Myanklereplacement.Com.

Ankle replacement is now available.
Dr. Nicholas Nomicos
Dr. Nicholas Nomicos
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
In the right patient.

In the right patient.
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
The technique is newer and because of the complexity of the ankle joint is not as wide spread as knee/hip replacement.
Long term studies are showing better long term results and more surgeons (myself included) are now trained and certified in the technique. Not all patients are candidates and there is specific selection criteria. If you are interested as a patient find a board certified surgeon.

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine