My husband has red puffy looking sore in his mouth with white in the middle. Is this herpes? He also had red spots on penis that don't look like sores

Rash. It could be but. Your description of the penile spots is not classical. Herpes. I would get him checked out by a physician.
Sores and spots. Yes, the oral sore could be herpes, but it could also be several other things. It would be highly unusually to also have herpes on the penis at the same time. I think this deserves a doctor's evaluation in person.