How do I know if I have cat scratch or the fever?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Below
This is caused by a small bacteria which produces a small skin lesion at the site of the scratch in 1/2-3/4 of patients.
Lymph nodes enlarge in the area closer to the body within about 10-14 days. At first these may be firm and tender, but then may break down and drain persistently. In some patients, particularly with impaired immune function it can affect the eye, liver, nervous system, etc.

In brief: Below
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Great answer from Dr Raff. In the early 1950's my father a boarded Peds/Peds Cardio wrote a journal paper on Ca Scratch Fever. Not much has changed in over 50 years...