What orthodontic procedures have to be done to correct an underbite?

Dr. Thomas Tilson
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Patient dependent

Every patient is unique.
It is best to see and orthodontist and let them determine a plan based on qualified information. Then have an informative conversation that can answer all your questions to your satisfaction.

In brief: Patient dependent

Every patient is unique.
Dr. Thomas Tilson
Dr. Thomas Tilson
Dr. Louis Sterling
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Braces &/or surgery

First the cause of your underbite must be determined.
It can be dental or skeletal. Braces are first needed to align your teeth in each arch. If dental only then braces +/- extractions are sufficient treatment. If a skeletal reason exists also, then surgery is needed in addition to braces (to align the actual jaw bones).

In brief: Braces &/or surgery

Dr. Louis Sterling
Dr. Louis Sterling
Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Underbite treatment

What has to be done to correct an underbite depends on a variety of factors.
It may require extraction of teeth to relieve crowding. It will definitely require braces for 18-24 months. If the lower teeth are out in front of the upper teeth, it may require corrective jaw (orthognathic) surgery to obtain the best result.

In brief: Underbite treatment

Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Severity

Is cause dental, skeletal, or both? No two malocclusions are alike.
Treatment of Class III malocclusions can be difficult to exceptionally difficult. See a qualified Orthodontic Specialist to learn what you need and how treatment can be best achieved.

In brief: Severity

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Orthodontics

I would consult an orthodontist (preferable one who is board certified) to see what they think they can do for you.

In brief: Orthodontics

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends on the cause

The best way to determine the type of treatment options are available for your specific situation is to seek an opinion with an orthodontic specialist.
Depending on the severity, the etiology, the patients age, etc. The treatment may be as easy as minor tooth movement in a pre-teen, more complex with full braces and possibly extractions, to possibly oral surgery.

In brief: Depends on the cause

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends

Underbites are amenable to treatment.
The factors that determine how are age, severity, genetic proclivity and cooperation. In many young patients who present with a posterior crossbite too, respond well to a full acrylic coverage rapid expander, a strong lower arch 2x4, lower lingual and strong continuous class 3 elastics, loose naso-maxillary sutures and elastics will protract the maxilla well.

In brief: Depends

Underbites are amenable to treatment.
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
400 characters is not enough to describe! I have been using this technique for 25 years and it is very effective. If anyone wants details of case selection, appliance fabrication and timing, contact me. I am more than happy to share my experience with this type of treatment. It completely negates the need for protraction (reverse) head gear (much to the delight of the young patients who would have otherwise had to endure that).
Dr. Peter Kurzweil