How does thermography for breast cancer work? It sounds sort of gimmicky.

No scientific value. Thermography, while it sounds promising to the lay population especially when one is searching for options to mammography, has never been show in any valid scientific study to have any value in screening or detecting breast cancer. The fda issued a safety warning against it and the people that promote it for financial gain. http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/safety/alertsandnotices/ucm257259.htm.
Thermography. Thermography uses the skin temperature as a way to MAP the breasts. The idea is that tumors have increased metabolic rate & blood flow, thereby generating heat that can be detected on the skin. Sometimes works. It should be used inconjunction with traditional mammo & ultrasound not in place of. The official web site states that also. I've seen normal thermogram with cancer....
More heat. Cancer tissues have higher metabolism; higher metabolism, i.e., burning more nutrients, leads to production of more heat than in normal tissues. Thermography maps the heat production in different areas and areas with higher heat production could be due to inflammation or cancer.
May not be. Thermography of breast or digital infrared imaging dii is additional new ornament in early diagnosis of breast cancer in expert hands, . Digital infrared cameras record, heat generated in tissues, cancer are very active metabolically, any small change in blood vessels are detected and recorded but is not a substitute ( fda ) for mammography , sono and MRI for diagnosis of breast cancer.