How come I get a stiff neck after a migraine headache?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Inflammation
During a migraine, the nerves of the covering of our brain become sensitizes in a process called "neurogenic inflammation".
This affects the covering of our brain called the meninges. When the meninges is inflamed, people get a stiff neck. This is not a universal finding in migraine but I have seen it in patients and my wife who gets migraine headaches too.

In brief: Inflammation
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine
In brief: Diet
Sounds strange? Migraine is caused by abnormal activity of the autonomic nervous system.
I would guess that you are a sugarholic!. Millions of people are and it interferes with cellular energy metabolism. Aspartame has been associated with migraine and is part of the problem.

In brief: Diet
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Shontae Buffington