How come I get a stiff neck after a migraine headache?

Inflammation. During a migraine, the nerves of the covering of our brain become sensitizes in a process called "neurogenic inflammation". This affects the covering of our brain called the meninges. When the meninges is inflamed, people get a stiff neck. This is not a universal finding in migraine but I have seen it in patients and my wife who gets migraine headaches too.
Diet. Sounds strange? Migraine is caused by abnormal activity of the autonomic nervous system. I would guess that you are a sugarholic!. Millions of people are and it interferes with cellular energy metabolism. Aspartame has been associated with migraine and is part of the problem.