Sleep apnea doctor recommends having part of the soft palate removed. Is this safe to do?

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dentistry - Endodontics
In brief: Last option
My collegues gave you great advice.
I would get a second opinion. I would recommend a ct scan to find out about your airway size if you have not had that done. There are ways to improve your airway without a surgical procedure that does not address airway size.

In brief: Last option
My collegues gave you great advice.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: It can be
Usually, surgery is the last resort for treating sleep apnea.
When people cannot tolerate CPAP surgery can be helpful to make this therapy more tolerable. In some cases the surgery can cure sleep apnea. If you have tried other methods of treating your sleep apnea and they have not worked properly and you have an extraordinarily large soft palate and uvula then surgery can be of great benefit.

In brief: It can be
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. R Sangal
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: Is it effective?
The uvulo-palato-pharyngo-plasty (uppp) is safe enough, although some patients can be left with an uncomfortable sensation in the throat or with fluids going up the nose when they drink.
However, it only works in 10-30% of patients depending on amount of tissue in throat, shape of jaw, weight, apnea severity. CPAP works much better. Effective surgery usually involves jaw surgery following uppp.

In brief: Is it effective?
Dr. R Sangal
Dr. R Sangal
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: If
If you have had a sleep study and have properly diagnosed sleep apnea, then you need to research all of the available modes of therapy--breathing appliances, appliances to wear in your mouth at night, and surgical approaches--before making your decision.

In brief: If
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dentistry
In brief: Things to consider
1) if overweight, contact your physician or a health coach with take shape for life -- weight reduction helps as the excess tissue will contribute to snoring & sleep apnea.
2)see dentist -- consider a custom-designed mouth guard specifically made for snoring & sleep apnea. They have a higher success rate than surgery & are effective for people who cannot adapt to wearing a CPAP mask. 3)surgery.

In brief: Things to consider
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Procedure risk
Each procedure has a certain risk.
The surgeon can better advise you on this, based on the extent of the procedure contemplated and your personal risk profile.

In brief: Procedure risk
Each procedure has a certain risk.
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Mark Loury
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Safe yes, effective?
Uppp cures osas only 40% of the time so is not recommended as isolated procedure.
If the tonsils are massive and tongue is small then uppp/t and a can cure in 80% if bmi<40. Small tonsils and large tongue is much less likely to improve with surgery. Usually osas surgery reserved for CPAP or mandibular advancement device failures. If u don't have osas and only snore then uppp helps snore in >80%.

In brief: Safe yes, effective?
Dr. Mark Loury
Dr. Mark Loury
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology