How to get a decent, natural tan if you have pale skin?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Artificial tanning
I agree with dr. Fisher that artificial tanning is the way to go if you have what we call "type i skin" and cannot tan naturally.
But i would remind you that artificial tanning does not provide any burn protection - so you need to remember to apply a good broad-spectrum (spf ~50) sunscreen lotion every single morning, whether you plan on being in the sun or not.

In brief: Artificial tanning
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Self tanners
Although do-it-yourself tanners aren't as convenient as professional spray services, they are a lot less expensive to maintain.
Reviews identify clarins self tanning instant gel as the best do-it-yourself tanner -- it's easy to apply and it doesn't streak. With pale skin, you are more likely for skin cancer if you try to tan in the sun.

In brief: Self tanners
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher