Is there a real big difference between a dmd and dds?

Dr. Heidi Nelson
Dentistry
In brief: Not any more
Historically, most dental schools offered the dds degree.
A few, such as penn and tufts, restructured their curriculum to provide a greater understanding of the connection between the health of the mouth and the rest of the body and chose to use a different designation. Today, however, there really is no difference in the quality or scope of education leading to either degree. Both are well trained.

In brief: Not any more
Dr. Heidi Nelson
Dr. Heidi Nelson
Dr. Cathy Graves
No there is no difference. I was always told most dental schools west of the Mississippi give DDS degrees when most schools east of the Mississippi give DMD degrees. This is not 100 percent but could be close
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: None
I am not a dentist but as far as i know, the dmd and dds degrees are equivalent.
Both are dentists. I believe it is similar to the fact that there are two degrees for doctors, M.D. And D.O.

In brief: None
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Adam Smith