How can I get my dr to properly test me for thyroid disorders? He only tested my TSH and t4. Refused to test free T3 (liothyronine) or free t4, or anything else.

Dr. Philip Kern
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Thyroid disorders

If your TSH was normal, then it is extremely unlikely that there is anything wrong with your thyroid.
The TSH represents your pituitary's "opinion" of your thyroid status, and that is more reliable than anything else. What makes you think you have a thyroid disorder? The symptoms of thyroid disorders are common symptoms of many other things.

In brief: Thyroid disorders

Dr. Philip Kern
Dr. Philip Kern
Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Proper?

Why do you think your physician didn't do "proper" testing? Just because more tests exist, doesn't mean they are needed or useful.

In brief: Proper?

Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Pathology

In brief: No need for more

Tests. If your TSH and T4 are normal, you do not need more tests for thyroid function.
Do you have any symptoms that make you feel that your thyroid function is abnormal? However, if you are not satisfied, you could see an endocrinologist or a different endocrinologist.

In brief: No need for more

Dr. Vicken Poochikian