I'm planning to have a baby next year. Should I continue to take celexa (citalopram) for depression & gad? I'm concerned about birth defects.

Check with your Dr. First, i think it's great you are thinking ahead. I would encourage you to use this time to find a psychiatrist with expertise in perinatal issues. It's always an risk-benefit ratio that should be evaluated for you by your dr to assess if it's more risky to get off your meds or to stay on them. Although, all medications have some risks involved, having depression ; anxiety have it's own risk.
Risk vs benefit. Ideally, you should stop any meds 3-6 months before conception, but only if the benefit to your health does not outweigh the risk to the baby. Celexa (citalopram) does have some evidence of risk in both first and third trimesters, albeit small risk. I would set up a consultation with a maternal/fetal medicine specialist before conception, (also because of your age), and discuss this specifically with them.