I have been advised by my cardiologist to have a coronary artery bypass graft surgery?

Coronary bypass. What is your specific question about bypass surgery?
Common. This recommendation is given approximately 500, 000 times a year in the us. Coronary artery bypass is an effective treatment preventing death and myocardial infarction.
Another opinion. From another cardiologist or a cardiac surgeon is always a good idea. Coronary artery bypass grafts take blood around blockages in the coronary arteries which feed the heart muscle. They can help to prevent angina, chest pain caused by not enough oxygen getting to the heart. In certain instances they can also be of benefit in helping patients live longer than they would without an operation.