How can I have an MRI scan with claustrophobia ?

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Ask your provider
While open MRI can be an option, the magnet is much weaker than closed mri.
This means the picture quality is not as good, like the difference between an inexpensive camera and a professional one. For some areas of the body, the open is okay. For others (spine in my practice) the higher quality is critical. Sedation can be used to deal with claustrophobia. Your provider can guide you.

In brief: Ask your provider
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
In brief: Open MRI/ativan
There are some "open mri's" which can be a little more comfortable if you're claustrophobic.
If you live in a rural area or aren't near one, sometimes primary care doctors give a pill like Ativan (lorazepam) to help you relax right before getting the scan. I'd ask your primary doctor about it. Good luck!

In brief: Open MRI/ativan
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: CBT
Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias.
One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.

In brief: CBT
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine