How can I have an MRI scan with claustrophobia ?

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ask your provider

While open MRI can be an option, the magnet is much weaker than closed mri.
This means the picture quality is not as good, like the difference between an inexpensive camera and a professional one. For some areas of the body, the open is okay. For others (spine in my practice) the higher quality is critical. Sedation can be used to deal with claustrophobia. Your provider can guide you.

In brief: Ask your provider

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Open MRI/ativan

There are some "open mri's" which can be a little more comfortable if you're claustrophobic.
If you live in a rural area or aren't near one, sometimes primary care doctors give a pill like Ativan (lorazepam) to help you relax right before getting the scan. I'd ask your primary doctor about it. Good luck!

In brief: Open MRI/ativan

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: CBT

Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias.
One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.

In brief: CBT

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry