Carpal tunnel surgery painful?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Carpal Tunnel Surger

For most people this is not painful but recovery will vary according to work status (self employed versus workmen's compensation.
).

In brief: Carpal Tunnel Surger

).
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Hill Hastings
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Only the anesthesia

Carpal tunnel release can be done under a general anesthetic, or local anesthesia.
..Most commonly under local. The local anesthesia is "uncomfortable" and in some patients considered painful. The procedure when done under adequate local anesthesia is not painful.

In brief: Only the anesthesia

Dr. Hill Hastings
Dr. Hill Hastings
Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Usually not much

This depends on the type of surgery.
Endoscopic surgery typically has less pain. I perform these and more than 50% of my patients don't even take a prescription pain medication after surgery. Every patient is different and there are several factors which can influence the amount of pain after this procedure.

In brief: Usually not much

This depends on the type of surgery.
Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Usually minimally

Everyones tolerance for pain is different but in general most of my patients will take pain medicine for a day or two after surgery.

In brief: Usually minimally

Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: Not too bad

For most patients, they are able to gradually resume most normal activities around 6 weeks after surgery.
Most do not require occupational therapy on the hand. It can be helpful if the recovery is slow. Your hand will be sore and possibly swollen for the first few weeks. Fortunately, most patients have a very good outcome. Typical post-op pain is not too bad. Keyboard activities 3-4 wk.

In brief: Not too bad

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Matthew Welsch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: No, but...

The surgery itself should not be painful, but postoperatively it is common to have soreness or pain in the palm as the wound heals.

In brief: No, but...

Dr. Matthew Welsch
Dr. Matthew Welsch