Carpal tunnel surgery painful?

Carpal Tunnel Surger. For most people this is not painful but recovery will vary according to work status (self employed versus workmen's compensation.).
Only the anesthesia. Carpal tunnel release can be done under a general anesthetic, or local anesthesia...Most commonly under local. The local anesthesia is "uncomfortable" and in some patients considered painful. The procedure when done under adequate local anesthesia is not painful.
Usually not much. This depends on the type of surgery. Endoscopic surgery typically has less pain. I perform these and more than 50% of my patients don't even take a prescription pain medication after surgery. Every patient is different and there are several factors which can influence the amount of pain after this procedure.
Usually minimally. Everyones tolerance for pain is different but in general most of my patients will take pain medicine for a day or two after surgery.
Not too bad. For most patients, they are able to gradually resume most normal activities around 6 weeks after surgery. Most do not require occupational therapy on the hand. It can be helpful if the recovery is slow. Your hand will be sore and possibly swollen for the first few weeks. Fortunately, most patients have a very good outcome. Typical post-op pain is not too bad. Keyboard activities 3-4 wk.
No, but... The surgery itself should not be painful, but postoperatively it is common to have soreness or pain in the palm as the wound heals.