A stroke may also be referred to as a brain attack. In what ways is it similar to a heart attack?

Similar cause. A stroke is an interruption in blood flow to a part of the brain usually caused by either an embolic event or blood clot or a bleed or hemorrhage in the brain. In the end the damage caused may be permanent and severe causing loss of function like inability to use an arm, leg or speech. A heart attack is caused by interruption of blood to heart muscle by arteries diseased by atherosclerosis.
Blockage. A stroke that is due to a decrease of blood flow (ischemic cerebral infarction) can be similar in pathophysiology to a myocardial infarction (heart attack). The root cause usually resides in a blockage in an artery that supplies blood to the brain or heart. This blockage becomes completely obstructive and the downstream tissue becomes ischemic due to a lack of oxygen. Eventually it can die.