Why is gonorrhea also known as the clap?

In brief: French vs Treatment

This archaic term has been around for years befor we understood what germs were about.
I like the story relating it to a french brothel "clapier?", although some insist it came from an old form of treatment. Two hands brought together quickly on the "member" or a big book slammed shut to milk the debris out of the penis.

In brief: French vs Treatment

Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Agree -- the link to "clapier" for brothel is the usual explanation, although this isn't completely clear and some medical historians don't buy it. The reason I like it, and perhaps Dr. F as well, is that the literal translation of "clapier" is hutch, i.e. rabbit hutch -- linking back to folkore about rabbits reproducing rapidly and having sex frequently.
Dr. Lane Childs
Urology

In brief: Gonorrhea

The sexually-transmitted disease known as gonorrhea has "the clap" as one of its nicknames.
This bacterial infection can produce a voluminous urethral discharge and leads to urethral scarring causing stricture disease. Old-timers were known to smack or clap their penis between their hands to break up the scars and facilitate urination. The history of the treatment of gonorrhea is fascinating.

In brief: Gonorrhea

Dr. Lane Childs
Dr. Lane Childs