What is patient autonomy?

Dr. Monica Williams-Murphy
Emergency Medicine

In brief: You own your body

I always tell my patients, "you own your body.
My job is to tell you your options and then to make your choices happen, if possible." another term for patient autonomy is self-determination. Unwanted medical care may be chosen for you, should you lose this ability to make decisions for yourself (ex: coma or stroke) and you have not written your medical wishes in the form of advance directive.

In brief: You own your body

Dr. Monica Williams-Murphy
Dr. Monica Williams-Murphy
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: The patient chooses

Patient autonomy means you, the patient, get to make your own decisions about your health.
You can choose not to have a test, take a medicine, or undergo surgery even if a doctor recommends it. This is an ethical principle that is heavily emphasized in western culture. Of course, we mds think we know what's best for you, so we don't remind you that you can say no. You can! even to a doctor!

In brief: The patient chooses

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Patrick Connolly
Neurosurgery

In brief: Principle of medicin

Patient autonomy is one of the ethical principles of medicine.
It means that a patient cannot be compelled to do something they do not want, and that there is a right to know the risks, benefits and alternatives to any treatment on offer, so that he or she can make an educated choice. Oftentimes, after hearing all the options, patients will ask, "what do you recommend, doc?".

In brief: Principle of medicin

Dr. Patrick Connolly
Dr. Patrick Connolly