I have been reading about the disadvantage of having an allograft put in during ACL surgery. True?

There are pros+cons. Each graft option for aclr has pros/cons. Pros of allograft include quicker early recovery; cons include longer incorporation/maturation time, higher failure rates in young athletes, and very very low potential risks of disease transmission. Age<25, higher demand athletes should in general have autograft based on current literature; talk to your md; he/she should discuss options in detail.
Availability. Besides simplicity , availability allograft acl repair is not bad, harvesting your own petellar graft is slightly better, but requires additional procedure.