Will surgery be necessary to treat genital warts?

Not necessarily. Genital warts respond to a number of treatments. Medical creams such as Aldara (imiquimod) can boost the local immune system. Milder office procedures such as cryotherapy (freezing) the warts can be very effective as can some chemical treatments such as podphyllin. Genital warts should not be treated with over-the-counter medication.
Not necessarily. Depending on the number and size of the lesions, they can usually be treated with topical agents or freezing.
Yes. When you need immediate results, surgery would be the option. It is used under both circumstances when there are extensive warts and when there are single or very small number of warts.