Why do we have to do all those nsts when we are pregnant? I need to drag my kids in with me every week?

Dr. Joel Pranikoff

In brief: Reassurance

Not every pregnant patient has nst's performed on a regular basis.
Your obstetrician is concerned about something going on in the pregnancy and the nst is a way to gain some reassurance that the baby is doing well. Think of it as taking a set of vitals on the baby. You are fortunate to have an obstetrician that is expressing concern about the baby's well being.

In brief: Reassurance

Dr. Joel Pranikoff
Dr. Joel Pranikoff

In brief: Safety

The womb is usually the best place for a baby to be when it is not past the risk stage for complications like lung disease of prematurity and others.
However, when warning signs arise, induced or c-section delivery may be necessary.Babies die unexpectedly in the womb occasionally, but the NST can assure the doc they can wait at least a while longer.At your listed age you are high risk anyway.

In brief: Safety

Dr. Jane Van Dis