I have severe asthma 42% lung function. I'm coming down with a respiratory infection. Should I be hospitalized?

Sounds like it. It is urgent that you contact your physician , who knows your history best. If your symptoms are no better after you have done treatments as laid out by your pcp or pulmonoligist when having a bad asthma attack, then you need to head on to the emergency room right now!