Hard white lump on gum. X-ray was clear-no bone/calcium. Painless, hard as bone. Dentist couldn't give me a clear answer. Ideas of what it could be?

In brief: Bone - what else

Not say where it is located.
See an oral surgeon. It is not unusual to have a spontaneous growth of bone at a site. A surgeon may want to remove it and look at it under the microscope. I would not ignore it.

In brief: Bone - what else

Not say where it is located.
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dentistry

In brief: Location

It depends on where it is, some normal boney growth might happens bilaterally in the lower jaw about the canine region, and on the middle of the palate in the upper jaw, i would have it checked any way to rule out any up normal activities.
.

In brief: Location

.
Dr. Jack Hinkle