Is seronegative rheumatoid joint disease as same as rheumatoid arthritis or is it something else?

Dr. Angus Worthing
In brief: Better prognosis
Same disease.
Seronegative rheumatoid arthritis (where rheumatoid factor and anti-ccp antibody tests are negative) generally has a better prognosis with a better response to medications and lower chance of joint damage. It is treated similarly to seropositive RA except that some biologic medications (rituximab, abatacept) may not work as well in seronegatives.

In brief: Better prognosis
Same disease.
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: It can be
In my clinic , we see a number of patients with rheumatoid arthritis but their testing for rheumatoid disease is within normal limits.
They still lhave the same potential for inflammation and other complications of rheumatoid arthritis and we call the disease, seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. I believe in your question, the 2 illnesses are the same joint process or disease.

In brief: It can be
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine