My psychiatrist diagnosed me with schizophrenia. I challenged him to show me a test that proved it. He said he couldn't. Am i still schizophrenic?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: You may well be

I haven't met you, so i can't say whether i would diagnose you with schizophrenia.
However, no definitive lab tests "prove" one is -- or is not -- schizophrenic. At this point -- and until functional mri's and other studies are better able to reliably show replicable signs of this illness -- schizophrenia is a clinical diagnosis determined from longitudinal history and mental status exam.

In brief: You may well be

In brief: Wow, sounds like you

Want your psychiatrist to jump through hoops.
Here's the thing. Not being able to "prove it" to you doesn't mean that you aren't schizoprehenic. How about asking him to educate you about this condition ; to explain what symptoms you have. If there were tests for all mental health conditions - that would be really easy - but there aren't. Take care.

In brief: Wow, sounds like you