Do contacts cause dry eye syndrome?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Probably not

Contacts float on a thin layer of tears coating the front of the eye.
Because of this, contact wearers are very sensitive to dryness of the eyes as the lens will become uncomfortable, if the eye is a little dry. The contact does not cause the dryness, but is a sensitive early warning. If you are starting to have some symptoms see your ophthalmologist who can recommend more advanced lenses.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Damien Luviano
Ophthalmology

In brief: Yes, inflammation

The contact lens is s foreign body that runs across the cornea epithelium with each blink.
The contact lens also leads to s decrease in oxygen delivery to cornea. Chemical solutions also take a toll on the epithelium. Enzymes and proteins accumulate. Somepeople develop surface cornea disease and affects the lids to cause papillae. Inflamed eye will make less tears, which aggravate the eyes.

In brief: Yes, inflammation

Dr. Damien Luviano
Dr. Damien Luviano
Dr. Majid Moshirfar
Ophthalmology

In brief: It may.

There are numerous studies reflecting increased incidence of ocular surface inflammatory dry ere disease.
As a matter of fact in a large study from canada with cohort of more than 10000 subjects, dry eye complaints can be as much as 50%. I thinks the causality of dryness secondary to contact lens is not completely understood. Is it loss of goblet cell ? I guess it is the chicken egg question.

In brief: It may.

Dr. Majid Moshirfar
Dr. Majid Moshirfar
Dr. William Forsythe