Is teaching strictly about abstinence a successful way to control STDs in teens?

Dr. Edward Neilsen
In brief: My opinion...no
This is a hotly debated topic but generally i feel that the answer is no.
I tell my patients that my job is not to preach my morals, but instead provide information to keep them healthy. There is no 100% safe sex, but i would prefer my patients who choose to become sexually active be armed with all information possible - including the fact that not even condoms are 100%!

In brief: My opinion...no
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
In brief: Hasn't so far
The morality brigade has not made a significant impact on the problem so far. While well meaning, training that ignores the impact of the other information systems all teens look to will stumble (peers, print & social media, etc.
).

In brief: Hasn't so far
).
Pathology
In brief: No
People simply won't do this, no matter what you tell them in the classroom, and children ridicule "abstinence only" education.

In brief: No
Dr. Cindy Juster