Difficulty breathing through nose at night the cause of sleep apnea?

Usually not. Nasal obstruction can worsen sleep apnea but in most cases it is not the cause. Sometimes nasal obstruction is not really nasal, but due to throat obstruction, too. Nasal obstruction should be treated as even in absence of sleep apnea it affects sleep quality and daytime function. For some patients, treatment of nasal obstruction can aid in the treatment of sleep apnea.
No. If the nose is the only problem, you will simply breathe thru the mouth. The critical blockages occur in the back of the mouth and down the throat.