I had a kidney transplant a little over 2yrs now. I want to how can smoking cigarettes and marijuana effect or hurt my kidney in anyway?

Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: Absolutely it will

Smoking generates carbon monoxide and other compounds that injury the lining of blood vessels, the endothelium. Patients with kidney transplants are already at risk for endothelial injury based on hypertension, diabetes, and immunosuppressive drugs.
The #1 cause of death and kidney loss is related to endothelial cell injury, namely heart attacks and transplant nephropathy. Don't do it!

In brief: Absolutely it will

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Harms blood vessels

Promotes arteriosclerosis which reduces blood flow to kidneys ; heart which promotes hypertension which in turn damages the kidneys.
Of course smoking improves your chances of developing lung cancer which can spread to the kidneys and kill you. Think of the generous kidney donor who has given you life. Transplanted kidneys have enough of a rough time without imposing additional unnecessary risk.

In brief: Harms blood vessels

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Eric Weisman