Diagnosed w/tmj, wore mouth guard & took ibuprofen, still a lot of pain. Was in a hit and run and may have whiplash, how to treat or cure?

In brief: I am not sure that I

Understand. It sounds like you already had tmj.
You were then injured in a hit ; run accident and wonder about whiplash. If this is accurate - it sounds like you may not have had a specific evaluation after this accident. If that is the case - please do get medically evaluated. Cervical fracture or other neck injury should be ruled out. Take care.

In brief: I am not sure that I

P.S. If I misunderstood the scenario then please consider clarifying and re-asking.
Dr. William Culviner
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Multiple approaches

You may need to attack this with many approaches to include heat, massage, soft diet, and continue night guard.
Some people benefit from muscle relaxant rx , physical therapy, or TMJ therapy.

In brief: Multiple approaches

Dr. William Culviner
Dr. William Culviner
Dr. Robert Kent
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Start with physical

Therapy. For tmj, start with rocabado exercises in phys therapy, and include cervical physical therapy.
From there, there are numerous injections that can help for each. The bight guard is great for a small percentage of people, but if it is not helping it most likely will not. See an experienced interventional pain physician for TMJ injections and cervical facet injections. Hope that helps!

In brief: Start with physical

Dr. Robert Kent
Dr. Robert Kent
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: Osteopathy

Tmj is a disorder that is not well understood.
Experts usually derive from the dental schools of training. My own experience interviewing several of these experts is that there are many theories and an equal number of treatments. To my mind the best theory is my own; which I have presented at quora.Com on my pain syndrome board. Tmj evolves from abnormal post-injury cervical postures.

In brief: Osteopathy

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Charlene Sojico

In brief: You will

Need to discuss this with your treating physician who knows your case best.
You could have a fracture , condition worsened and he can write you prescription pain medication and monitor you closely

In brief: You will

Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: PM&R doc

PM&R doc to treat your whiplash.
TMJ doc to treat your TMJ. Whiplash complicates treatment of TMJ.

In brief: PM&R doc

PM&R doc to treat your whiplash.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Eric Weisman