Are cold sores considered an std?

No. Cold sores usually aren't a sexually transmitted disease (std). They are caused by the herpes simplex virus. There are two kinds of herpes virus: hsv-1, which is usually not an std and occurs on the lip, and hsv-2, which usually causes herpes genitalis, which is essentially an std in the genital area. Both viruses can be transmitted by saliva, body secretions or oral sex.
Not really. I guess they can be transmitted that way.
Not really. Cold sores on or near the lips are usually caused by herpes type 1 virus. Most people get them not through sex, so they are not considered an std. However, they can be transmitted through sexual activity. Genital herpes is usually caused by herpes type 2 and is considered an std. Through various sexual activities, one can get oral herpes 1 sores on the genitals, and genital herpes 2 on the lips!