Can you have orthognathic surgery for facial asymmetry?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Yes.

Orthognathic surgery, or corrective jaw surgery, is commonly performed by members of my specialty (oral and maxillofacial surgery) for correction of facial asymmetries.
Of course, it's important to determine the reason for the asymmetry and address that first. It is often due to overgrowth of one side of the lower jaw, with deviation of the chin and lower jaw to the opposite side.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Brian Dorfman
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Orthognathic jaw surgery is often used for facial asymmetry.
This is true if the underlying cuase if a skeletal abnormality, not just soft tissue. I routinely treat these cases as do most oral & maxillofacial surgeons, with orthognathic surgery. Orthodontics are usually required as well.

Dr. Brian Dorfman
Dr. Brian Dorfman
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Orthognathic surgery

Corrective jaw, or orthognathic, surgery is performed by oral and maxillofacial surgeons to correct a wide range of minor and major skeletal and dental irregularities, including the misalignment of jaws and teeth, which, in turn, can improve chewing, speaking and breathing.

In brief: Orthognathic surgery

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher