How do I know I sprained, fractureed or broke my ankle?

X-ray. You will need and x-ray to see if you have a fracture or if it is just a sprain. If fractured, you will need to be immobilized with a splint, cast, or rigid walking boot depending on the location of the injury. If fractured, it may need to be reduced in the office or possibly in the operating room. Have it evaluated by your physician to get the appropriate treatment.
Exam ; x-ray. An x-ray will tell you if you have fractured your ankle or not. An exam by a doctor with tell you the extent of the sprain if not fractured.