Why is my baby crying in his sleep?

In brief: Variety of issues
I put night issues into context with age, time of night & response to intervention.
The 6-9mo may be experiancing separation anxiety & fear you are gone forever- if they are awake when you check & settle when they see you, it fits. The baby that struggles in early sleep & doesn't awaken to light touch may have a night terror. The same scene later pm but awakening quickly can be a nightmare.

In brief: Variety of issues
Dr. Michael Pappas
In brief: Discomfort/Fear
We all cry for similar reasons: fear, discomfort, and hunger. If you know your baby's tummy is full, the most common reasons are teeth or bad dreams (depending on their age).
What can you do about bad dreams? Not much. But, teething can be helped with some Ibuprofen before bedtime. I also would check your baby's diaper, clothes, and bed to make sure that there is nothing causing them discomfort.

In brief: Discomfort/Fear
Dr. Michael Pappas
Dr. Michael Pappas
Dr. Cindy Juster