I have anemia and have been on iron. What else can I do?

Dr. Kelty Baker
Internal Medicine - Hematology

In brief: Causes of anemia

There are literally hundreds of causes for anemia.
Iron deficiency is certainly one of the most common. If you have not responded to iron therapy, your primary care physician or hematologist will need to look into the other many causes of anemia.

In brief: Causes of anemia

Dr. Kelty Baker
Dr. Kelty Baker
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Anemia: look for excess loss (bleeding overt or covert); lack of production (marrow issues), excess destruction (hemolysis). It is a sign, not a diagnosis
Dr. Helmy Guirgis
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Consult a dcotor

Anemia has many causes.
Iron deficiency is just one of many. B12, other vitamins, cancer, bone marrow disease are a few. These are books on anemia. See a doctor and ask ... Age, race, cancer, bleeding, drugs that you are taking... Any blood in the stools..... Ulcer....Any history of alcohol or drug abuse? Family history....Think outside the box..Too much iron can be harmful.

In brief: Consult a dcotor

Anemia has many causes.
Dr. Helmy Guirgis
Dr. Helmy Guirgis