Please tell me, could my orthodontic retainer work as a bite guard to protect against nighttime teeth grinding?

Depends on the type. A traditional hawley retainer (acrylic and wires) normally will not work as a 'bite guard'. However, a full occlussal coverage bit guard (gelb) can work as a retainer. Speak to your orthodontist to get one that will work to protect against grinding and serve as a retentative appliance.
Of course. The full coverage bite guard will also help keep the top from moving. This is simply a night time retainer.
Not good. Retainers are designed to preserve new tooth positions. Night guards are designed to prevent grinding. Different functions, different designs.
It's possible. If you had invisalign trays for your orthodontics, then you could use the tray as a brux guard, however there is not much thickness there and could be abraded very easily. If you have a traditional retainer without the surfaces of your teeth covered, then the answer is no. Ask your dentist if you have any questions.
Most likely no. An orthodontic retainer is not designed to protect the occlusal surfaces from contact and trauma. I bruxism guard can actually serve both purposes. Speak to your orthodontist about options for your situation.
Ortho retainer. I just saw a patient with the same problem. He has retainers and he has used an nti for chronic grinding/clenching. I talked to his orthodontist who said he could make a comination appliance. Talk to your orthodontist about a combination appliance.
Different functions. Retainers and night. Guards have different functions, ask your dentist or orthodontist if he or she can make some modifications to your existing retainers.To acumodat your brauxisem symptoms.