My mom is addicted and consuming 11 prescription pills a day what is the best way to approach an intervention when dealing with addiction?

Dr. Robert Patterson

In brief: Intervention Rx

Intervention is a treatment, and quite powerful.
This site is well known to publish some excellent resources that I use in my practice. I am not sure what are of the country you live in, so it is hard for me to recommend specific folks to you, but usually your local mental health facility or your primary care physician can point you in the right direction. http://tinyurl.com/87jpk47.

In brief: Intervention Rx

Dr. Robert Patterson
Dr. Robert Patterson
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Plan, Plan, Plan

First, do not do this on your own.
Get your doctor's help. Work with a skilled , experienced interventionist before talking with your mom. You may find one through various recovery centers or hospitals, or your doctor may have referrals in your community. Have each family member ready to tell calmly how your mom's issues have affected him/her interventionist can help plan & guide this process.

In brief: Plan, Plan, Plan

First, do not do this on your own.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Multilevel

First, talk to prescribing physician and make a judgement call: do you trust his/ her approach.
Second, find the trusted physician. Third, allocate time, financial resources. Don't expect quick results and don't forget psychiatric evaluation. Depression could contribute to the problem.

In brief: Multilevel

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Eric Weisman