What can I do to produce more breast milk? How do I know if my baby had enough to eat?

Dr. Mandakini Patel

In brief: Answer to second par

The best gauge of the baby getting enough is the weight gain.
Brest fed babiers are fed on demand and usually if you are only breast feedig the baby, the baby will let you know when he or she is hungry again. As the baby gets older, he or she will suck on the breasts longer. The most nutritious milk is the first 5-7 minutes of the feeding on each side. So be sdure to feed on each side each feedin.

In brief: Answer to second par

Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Call your doctors

You should touch base with your pediatrician and possibly your pmd and a lactation consultant.
Your doctor and the pediatrician know you and your baby best. There are many reasons for problems, but please also remember usually the mother and baby are doing just fine. A baby who is peeing and pooping okay, and looks well hydrated, is doing well. Check with pediatrician re: baby's weight gain.

In brief: Call your doctors

Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Mandakini Patel

In brief: More milk production

First you need to drink plenty of fluids including milk.
Rest and be relaxed as the opposite decreaases your milk productio. Thirdly but most importantly, the more the baby suckles on the brest the more milk produced. There are other herbal therapies including fenugreek and dill thta help wiht this.

In brief: More milk production

Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Mandakini Patel