Is it possible that a ssri like Zoloft (sertraline) shows benefit for social anxiety without helping OCD ? Shouldn't everything related to serotonin improve ?

Dr. Linda Callaghan
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Yes.

Yes, zoloft (sertraline) helps social anxiety as well as ocd.
Ocd and social anxiety are under the general category of anxiety disorders. When you treat the ocd, the dosage is often higher . Standard of care has a higher dosages of ssris when treating obsessive compulsive disorders.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Linda Callaghan
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: My POV

This is my opinion - many may disagree.
Mental health symptoms don't relate to medications in a 1:1 ratio (if at all). We've tried to create symptom bundles that appear together into DX names, like ocd. Ssris are now used off-label for many dxs - if it works, great - if not, something else is tried. This is too few words to explain it, but add talk tx (cbt) to address specific symptoms. It helps!

In brief: My POV

This is my opinion - many may disagree.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Lynne Weixel

In brief: Sometimes

Fairly high doses of ssri's are needed for good response of ocd.
It is feasible that levels were sufficient for the social anxiety to show improvement but not high enough for the ocd. But a bigger issue is whether you are receiving non- medication treatment for you ocd. Consider cognitive behavioral therapy.

In brief: Sometimes