I got viral pneumonia in oct. In nov. I rec'd flu and pneumonia vac. Jan i got bacterial pneumonia. How if i got immunized?

Dr. Daniel Cabot

In brief: Wrong bacteria

The "pneumonia vaccination" only helps prevent pneumonia caused by a certain kind of bacteria, one that is a common cause for pneumonia in older adults.
There are still plenty of other bacteria out there that can cause pneumonia.

In brief: Wrong bacteria

Dr. Daniel Cabot
Dr. Daniel Cabot
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Pneumococcal

So the pneumonia shot protects only against pneumococcal pneumonia which is a particularly virulent pneumonia that is quite common but one particular bacteria.
So you can get pneumonia with any bacteria/virus or fungus that is not in the 22 trivalent vaccine. If your lungs were weak (like prior recent infxn) happens more likely.

In brief: Pneumococcal

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine