Can you get STDs through anal sex?

Absolutuely. Yes! As well as other infections and trauma and permanent damage to the anal sphincters. The anus was designed as an exit not an entrance.
Of COURSE! Its still sexual contact isnt it? All you need to spread STDs is skin-to-skin contact for some and contact with infected secretions for others. Gonorrhea in the anus is common, hpv causes anal cancer and spread by secretions contacting the anus (even during vaginal sex with secretions sliding down), HIV and syphilis can spread thru anal sex. Safe sex no matter what type please!