Can i drink alcohol while taking depakote. I am taking it to prevent tension headaches. (alcohol does not trigger them). Is this combo safe?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Not a good idea

Alcohol is not a good mixer with many drugs.
In this case it can seriously increase the risk of side effects and definitely can increase the effects of the drug. The warnings are to not drink and they mean it. If you do -and if you have a bad reaction - you'll have no one to blame but yourself. Want to take the risk? I hope you decide not to. Take care of yourself. You deserve it.

In brief: Not a good idea

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Shahid Rafique

In brief: No

Drinking alcohol with any psychotropic drug is not recommended.

In brief: No

Dr. Shahid Rafique
Dr. Shahid Rafique
Dr. Eric Weisman