I have been on the birth control pill and get my period every three months. Lately I have been spotting more and have an irritated vagina after sex?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief:    Breakthrough bleeding (bleeding at the wrong time)  is very common on birth control.

It happens in about 1/3 of users.
Its no big deal and usually self corrects over time.  if you are not satisfied or it continues to happen  then consider using a different birth control method. It is a common side effect and does not mean something is wrong or that the pill is not working.

It happens in about 1/3 of users.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Q. 3 month pills

The three month oral contraceptive pills contain very low doses of synthetic estrogen and progesterone.
If the spotting is occurring the week before the period is due, then that isn't a problem. If it is occurring in the middle of the 3 month pack you might want to consider switching pills and using a water based lubricant for sex.

In brief: Q. 3 month pills

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Brian Nguyen

In brief: Time to change BCP

Sometimes the type of pill you use or the way you take it (cyclic vs continuous) affects how your ovaries are suppressed, thereby affecting your hormonal status.
Over-suppression can lead to atrophy (weakening) of the uterine lining (causes spotting) or of the vagina (irritation after sex). You may need a weaker dose or try an iud which is a very low hormone form of contraception!

In brief: Time to change BCP

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Brian Nguyen