Can you have prolonged vaginal bleeding after insertion of mirena (levonorgestrel)?

YES. Mirena (levonorgestrel) has homone which may prevent bleeding or may cause bleeding in some cases.
Yes. The Mirena (levonorgestrel) is a safe and reliable form of contraception and over time it may significantly decrease menstrual bleeding. Initially (after insertion) however there may be some abnormal bleeding. If this continues or is associated with pain and cramping please see the practitioner who inserted the device to make sure it is in the proper location. If it is, give it some time, it is a 5 year investment.