Can missing 5 pills in a row cause a woman tobegin bleeding? I an on ortho tri cyclen (ethinyl estradiol and norgestimate). Not due to start for 15 days but missed 5 pills now bleeding.

Yes. You can generally skip up to 2 pills in a pack, and still catch up by taking 2 pills per day for 2 days. But once you've skipped 3 pills or more, your body thinks it's time to get a period, just like the last week of the pack when you take sugar pills. The pill is less effective if you don't take it every day. You should use a back up method, condoms, until you've been back on the pill for 2 weeks.