How do I know if I need a crown on one of my molars?

Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry

In brief: Alternative

Your dentist can give you an opinion.
With the development of strong porcelains, crowns can almost always be avoided today. Ask about porcelain onlays as an alternative to crowns. Not only are they more attractive, they also leave more of you own tooth. They can be made chairside in a single visit with the use of a computerized process called cerec.

In brief: Alternative

Your dentist can give you an opinion.
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dentistry

In brief: Evaluation

Often times a dentist can tell you if a crown is needed as there are a myriad of reasons for needing a crown.
Large restorations, fractures, replacing old crowns, or after root canals are just a few of the reasons for a crown. Speak to your doctor to determine why and make sure you ask why so you understand.

In brief: Evaluation

Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. Ashish Naik
General Practice

In brief: Basic logic

This is dependent on what percentage of the tooth is broken or unsupported, and also how healthy the remaining tooth structure is.
Your dentist can examine the tooth and give you the best course or action... Crown, inlay, filling, extraction or no treatment at all.

In brief: Basic logic

Dr. Ashish Naik
Dr. Ashish Naik
Dr. Jimmy Lin

In brief: Go see a DDS

If they can still salvage the tooth, do the crown.
Otherwise later you will need the tooth implant which is more expensiv e.

In brief: Go see a DDS

Dr. Jimmy Lin
Dr. Jimmy Lin
Dr. Andrea Brand