I have a family history of breast cancer and would like to know when my mammograms should start?

Earlier than 40. It depends- how strong a family history, if other family members have been tested positive for the brca 1 or 2 gene mutations help guide when screening mammograms should start, or for considering genetic counseling.
Age 40 is usual. The recommended age for start of mammography screening is 40 years. You should discuss your family history with your doctor to see if variation from the recommended practice is warranted.
Probably at 50. Starting mammograms at 50 has been shown to save lives. There has been debate to start at 40, but the fact that the disease does not show up much before 50, mammograms don't often detect cancer before 50, and that no clinical study has proven this to save lives if started at 40 has, so far, kept the age at 50. Many still think 40 should be the starting point.