I love assisting people. How do I get involved in disaster counseling, etc...?

Pathology

In brief: Law enforcement

No one, not even a physician, can do as much genuine good in a community as a wise police officer. It was my first career choice, and only when i discovered i had much more science smarts than street smarts did i settle for runner-up and become a physician.
Whatever you choose, keep your eyes peeled to those in need in your own community, especially the neglected kids in your own neighborhood.

In brief: Law enforcement

In brief: Red Cross

Red Cross is the first to come to mind although they are certainly others.
Call your local hospital as well. What a wonderful idea to volunteer and in time be in demand. Best wishes

In brief: Red Cross

Dr. Fletcher Derrick
Dr. Fletcher Derrick
Dr. Roxanne Lewis
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Look for the helper

The Red Cross, and Salvation Army are two places that use volunteers for disaster assistance.
Getting involved with these organizations will get you trained and positioned for helping in a disaster, natural or man made.

In brief: Look for the helper

Dr. Roxanne Lewis
Dr. Roxanne Lewis
Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: Education

specifically advanced level ( mater's or doctorate ) education in counseling psychology, social work or education.

In brief: Education

Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Local programs

You can discuss this with those who participate in your local disaster programs such as the Red Cross, the county and state organizations involved in this.
I think it's a great idea. We can also see what your local house of worship has available

In brief: Local programs

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Good heart

Please connect w/your local Red Cross Association.
They have disaster relief programs and train volunteers to help in such situations. You might also find opportunities at houses of worship. Peace and good health. Even though it seems overwhelming, every life you touch is helped.

In brief: Good heart

Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Bernard Seif