What is thyroid hormone replacement?

Treatment. Patients with low thyroid hormone in blood (hypothyroidism) require treatment with thyroid hormone. This is sometimes called thyroid hormone replacement.
Simple treatment. Years ago we found that once daily thyroid hormone supplements could help those with a low functioning or nonfunctioning thyroid gland. The expected dose for age/size is prescribed and the effect is monitored by simple blood tests.Occasional increases or decreases in the daily dose is made if blood tests show the need.