Should a 65-year old woman with a family history of breast cancer continue estrogen?

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology
In brief: Probably not.
This can increase the risk for some breast cancers and endometrial cancer.
Having a family history does not help. However, low dose hormone replacement therapy may be possible. It would be wise to see your doctor to be sure.

In brief: Probably not.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Kris Gast
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Estrogen & breast CA
Oh such a tough decision!if you have two first degree relatives with breast cancer(sister, mother) you should probably consider stopping.
However, if you have osteoporsis or significant heart disease in youself or family this has to be considered. Which is greater risk ca or heart/bones?Than factor in how bad you feel when you don't take estrogen...See what i mean?

In brief: Estrogen & breast CA
Dr. Kris Gast
Dr. Kris Gast
Dr. Barry Rosen
I agree with Dr. Gast--you almost need a crystal ball to answer this question. One concern I would have is how long you have been taking estrogen replacement? After 10-15 years the risks increase, often leading to my advice to try to taper off and see what side effects you may have.
Dr. Marsha Davis